Shingnapur, a small village in Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra was abuzz with action early morning on Thursday, 21 Jan, 2016. More than300 villagers gathered at the community ground to participate in the first of its kind afforestation drive in the village, celebrating World Forestry Day. Within an hour, several native trees consuming less water were planted by the villagers in collaboration with employees of RuralShores.
Recognising that children are the most influential agents of change, the employees of RuralShores have also started promoting importance of breakfast and healthy habits through action in the Zilla Parishad School of the village. They procure fruits from local vendors and distribute them to over 400 primary and secondary school children after their morning prayers, educating them on good habits such as waste management, sanitation and nutrition – adapting one theme each month.The children are taught these habits through implementation – such as making them dispose fruit peels in the school dustbin. By regularly implementing behavior change through action, it is ensured that the behavior is adopted by the children, thus contributing to making them socially responsible citizens. “We work for the progress and well-being of not only our employees, but also the villages of our employees. UTSAH – our social platform enables us to connect with our communities in an organized way”, said Anindya Bhattacharya, Head of Kopergaon center of RuralShores.
To fund the activities, the employees have pledged a certain amount of their daily salary. The senior management of the organization contributes the balance amount,making it a 100% employee funded and employee run community outreach program – the first of its kind in the country. “The social return of UTSAH is more than 2.5 times of every rupee invested in the community. Besides, the local economy of the region also multiplies positively through UTSAH,” Prerna W,leading the outreach program confirmed.
Going forward, the employees will conduct introductory session on computers for the women of the villages. This initiative will be launched on the occasion of International Women’s Day, on 8th March, 2016.“We feel proud to be able to contribute to our villages through RuralShores’ UTSAH”, beamed Santhosh Gaikwad, admin in-charge of the center.
A social enterprise, RuralShores is the world’s largest rural BPO, with 3500 employees in 18 centres located in villages, spread across 8 states. RuralShores was created by Murali Vullaganti in 2008 with the vision to transform educated youth into confident and caring knowledge professionals through impact sourcing.
For more detail please visit : http://www.ruralshores.com
Shingnapur is a gram panchayat in Kopergaon taluk of Ahmednagar. Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra, India, is a water scarce zone, receiving on average, an annual rainfall of 450 mm in the 20-30 rainy days of monsoon season. The district is rated as one of the backward districts of Maharashtra.
- Over 150 stakeholders converge to deliberate on solar energy roadmap at Nagpur - 16 February, 2018
- KPIT and NITI Aayog sign SOI for supporting Atal Tinkering Labs to promote innovation among school children - 16 February, 2018
- The Akshaya Patra Foundation wins ICAI Gold Shield Award for Excellence in Financial Reporting for 2016-17 - 2 February, 2018
- Sahaj Foundation Launches Its Flagship Dialogue On Rural Development “प्रश्न विकास का” For CSR Professionals - 22 January, 2018
- ASCEND team spreads joy to children of UMANG NGO on makar sankranti - 20 January, 2018
- Kunwer Sachdev, Managing Director, Su-kam among Hurun’s Most Respected Entrepreneurs 2017 - 19 December, 2017
- BCTA Donates 2000 Footballs to the Delhi Government in the esteemed presence of the Chief Minister, Arvind Kejriwal - 17 December, 2017
- Emaar India nurtured the life of 450 labours’ kids through “Guardian of Hope” programme - 16 December, 2017
- Awards for SIFFCY 2017 Announced - 16 December, 2017
- Bihar Skill Development Mission’s Initiative Towards Effective Skilling of Youth of Bihar - 15 December, 2017