New Delhi, Delhi , India
Debajani Mohanty marks her debut in the world of historical fiction with the release of her novel “The Curse of Damini” published by Penguin Partridge. The novel that blends romance, thriller and some real incidents of India’s past has been released at India International Center, Delhi on 29th December, the 3rd death anniversary of Nirbhaya by Nirbhaya’s parents Shri Badrinath Singh and Asha Devi. Former Union Minister of Bihar Mr. Sanjay Paswan, IAS officer & ex-Director Women and Child Ministry Ms. Rashmi Singh, Senior I.F.S. officer Mr. Amarendra Khatua, CEO of NIIT Technologies Mr. Arvind Thakur, Director General Carbon Minus India Mr. Srikanta Panigrahi, Senior Lawyer Supreme court Mr. Sanjib Mohanty and many well known NGO activists as well as educated and eminent people had been present to witness the event.
Set in 19th century India, “The Curse of Damini” explores some of today’s most topical issues, namely violence and discrimination against women, through the experiences of Renuka Pal, a young woman who embarks on a journey of self-discovery and empowerment. Readers will follow Renuka in her transformation from a rash teenage freedom fighter to a celebrated writer of the 21st century.
An excerpt from the novel reads :
“Who created this ritual?’ she screamed in anger, her voice reaching the sky and echoing around. ‘Who created this tradition where a man must marry on the seventh day after his wife dies but a wife must shave her head wearing only whites for the rest of her life if she loses her husband? Who created this rule? And why has no one opposed this ever? Answer me. When the Almighty does not discriminate between man and woman when allocating light, air, water, and all natural resources, who are you to do so?”
About the Author :
Debajani Mohanty is an engineering graduate and senior I.T. professional with a career of nearly one and half decades. Her interests include music, history, culture and literature. Her debut novel is a tribute to the Delhi gang-rape victim “Nirbhaya”.
- United Way Mumbai and Coca-Cola India Join Hands to Organize Beach Clean-up Drives Under ‘Clean Shores Mumbai’ Initiative - 27 June, 2018
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation hosts panel discussion on ‘Making Markets work for the Poor’ - 21 June, 2018
- Dosti Realty Spreads Awareness Through Their Tree Plantation Drive at Dosti West County - 7 June, 2018
- Siddha Group Launches World Environment Day Initiative in Association With Kolkata Municipal Corporation - 7 June, 2018
- Tata Starbucks Reinforces Its Commitment to Sustainability - 5 June, 2018
- GEF Capital Partners to Be the Catalyst for ESDS’ Growth Ambitions - 5 June, 2018
- USISPF Launches CEO Water Alliance - 5 June, 2018
- Social Entrepreneurs Amar and Payal Tulsiyan, Co-Founders of Menstrual Hygiene Awareness Initiative the Niine Movement, Receive Partners in Health Award at FOGSI International Women’s Health Summit - 4 June, 2018
- Sanjib Datta Takes Over as Managing Director of Mahanagar Gas Limited - 4 June, 2018
- Nicotex Partners With BEST in Its Journey for Becoming Tobacco Free Workplace - 31 May, 2018