New Delhi, Delhi, India
As an extension of the efforts undertaken by Ministry of Urban Development to encourage processing of solid waste, Shri Venkaiah Naidu today spoke to Shri Amitabh Bachchan and thanked him for agreeing to be the face of the Ministry’s new communication campaign encouraging citizens to use City Compost produced from municipal solid waste.
India currently produces over 1.54 lakh Metric Tonne of solid waste per day, 50% of which comprises of organic waste that can be converted into compost & gas; 30% is inorganic waste, which can be converted into energy. India has the potential to produce 54 lakh Metric Tonne of compost per annum from waste. Compost, produced organically from waste, are free of harmful chemicals and serve to provide carbon and primary / secondary nutrients to soil and increases its water retention capacity. Composting imitates nature’s way of rebuilding soil by encouraging the decomposition of organic substances. Besides being the cheapest method of disposing organic wastes, composting is eco-friendly, since it prevents production of harmful greenhouse gases (especially methane) and toxic material that pollutes groundwater apart from polluting the environment.
Despite the clear advantages of city compost, the current production of city compost from waste, lags far behind its potential. Hence, a focused communication campaign is being launched with Shri Amitabh Bachchan as its face to spread awareness and push up the production of city compost leading to increased quantum of waste processing and disposal and lessening the burden on existing dumpsites.
Shri Bachchan is expected to appeal to all citizens, nursery owners and horticulture agencies to pledge to use only city compost in their gardens, farm houses and public gardens. Additionally, he will be making an appeal to bulk waste generators like educational institutions and hotels to set up decentralized composting equipment in their respective premises and encourage the citizens to segregate organic waste for further composting.
The ministry plans to promote the initiative through a multi-platform communication campaign featuring Shri Bachchan, which will be active soon.
- Launch of Life Skills Program - 15 December, 2017
- American India Foundation (AIF) and Coca-Cola India Launches ‘SMS Mission Recycling’ to Sensitize School Children on Waste Management and Recycling - 15 December, 2017
- Aster Celebrates 30 Years of Quality Healthcare with a Year of Giving Back Initiatives - 15 December, 2017
- Curtain Raised for the 3rd Edition of Siddha Kiddathon - 9 December, 2017
- Mayors of Bengaluru and London Come Together to Help Cities across India and Worldwide Tackle Toxic Air Pollution - 6 December, 2017
- HelpMeSee to Demonstrate Eye Surgical Simulator at Comprehensive Cataract Conference 2017 - 22 November, 2017
- Kellogg India Pvt Ltd amongst Top 100 Best Companies for Women in India - 20 November, 2017
- Jagriti Sewa Sansthan and Coca-Cola India Announce the Winners of the Sustainable Enterprise Awards 2017 - 17 November, 2017
- Gleneagles Global Hospitals Hosts an Art Competition on Children’s Day to Increase Lung Cancer Awareness - 17 November, 2017
- ITC Limited – Hotels Division Conferred the 2017 Greenbuild Leadership Award by the U.S. Green Building Council for its Commitment to the Green Building Movement in India - 12 November, 2017