New Delhi, Delhi, India
As an extension of the efforts undertaken by Ministry of Urban Development to encourage processing of solid waste, Shri Venkaiah Naidu today spoke to Shri Amitabh Bachchan and thanked him for agreeing to be the face of the Ministry’s new communication campaign encouraging citizens to use City Compost produced from municipal solid waste.
India currently produces over 1.54 lakh Metric Tonne of solid waste per day, 50% of which comprises of organic waste that can be converted into compost & gas; 30% is inorganic waste, which can be converted into energy. India has the potential to produce 54 lakh Metric Tonne of compost per annum from waste. Compost, produced organically from waste, are free of harmful chemicals and serve to provide carbon and primary / secondary nutrients to soil and increases its water retention capacity. Composting imitates nature’s way of rebuilding soil by encouraging the decomposition of organic substances. Besides being the cheapest method of disposing organic wastes, composting is eco-friendly, since it prevents production of harmful greenhouse gases (especially methane) and toxic material that pollutes groundwater apart from polluting the environment.
Despite the clear advantages of city compost, the current production of city compost from waste, lags far behind its potential. Hence, a focused communication campaign is being launched with Shri Amitabh Bachchan as its face to spread awareness and push up the production of city compost leading to increased quantum of waste processing and disposal and lessening the burden on existing dumpsites.
Shri Bachchan is expected to appeal to all citizens, nursery owners and horticulture agencies to pledge to use only city compost in their gardens, farm houses and public gardens. Additionally, he will be making an appeal to bulk waste generators like educational institutions and hotels to set up decentralized composting equipment in their respective premises and encourage the citizens to segregate organic waste for further composting.
The ministry plans to promote the initiative through a multi-platform communication campaign featuring Shri Bachchan, which will be active soon.
- ofo, the World’s Largest Bicycle Sharing Platform, Contributes to Urban Mobility in Pune’s Magarpatta City - 9 March, 2018
- Dr. Madhu Chitkara Honoured with NIVEDITA Award for Service towards Women Empowerment on Account of International Women’s Day - 9 March, 2018
- Merck Launches their Merck Foundation and Mark International Women’s Day with First Lady of Niger - 9 March, 2018
- Plan India, Delegation of the European Union and Embassy of Finland Celebrate International Women’s Day 2018 in India under the Theme Economic Empowerment of Women - 7 March, 2018
- Merck Foundation Join Hands with the First Lady of The Gambia to Empower Infertile Women across Africa - 24 February, 2018
- Merck Foundation and Uganda Ministry of Health Continue their Support for the Heroines of ‘Merck More Than a Mother’ - 19 February, 2018
- Reverse Logistics Group Launches Clean to Green Campaign to Promote Responsible e-waste Recycling in India - 13 February, 2018
- UAE Exchange India Won Innov and Eminent Award 2017 for CSR - 23 January, 2018
- TechnipFMC in India Sponsors Jaipur Foot Camps in Partnership with the Rotary Club - 17 January, 2018
- NCCF Co-develops India’s Forest Management Certification Standard in Association with Ministries, Forest Departments, Industry and NGOs - 17 January, 2018