Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Ambuja Cement Ltd., a part of the global conglomerate LafargeHolcim and one of the leading cement manufacturing companies in India, has celebrated the World Water Day 2018 across its operations with great enthusiasm and zeal, thereby creating awareness about the importance of water and advocating for the sustainable management of water resources.
The celebrations held under the theme ‘Nature for Water’ were marked with a series of activities – ‘Run for Water’ marathons, rallies, experience sharing sessions and awareness talks in which scores of people from Ambuja operations and nearby communities participated. The teams of Ambuja CSR arm Ambuja Cement Foundation (ACF), which is celebrating its Silver Jubilee year, too actively contributed to the events.
Ambuja Cement’s MD & CEO Ajay Kapur said, “Since inception, Ambuja Cement has exhibited a great commitment towards water resource management. Over the years, we have not only reduced the water footprint of our operations but also promoted responsible water management in partnership with various government and other local stakeholders. In fact, Ambuja Cement has adopted a True Value approach – encompassing people, planet, and profit –which has given us further impetus to meet our Group’s Sustainability Development Strategy objectives.”
“The World Water Day celebrations offered us yet another opportunity to reinforce our commitment to preserve water and spearhead a strong water conservation movement, thus generating further awareness among the employees, communities and other stakeholders about this precious natural resource,” added Mr. Kapur.
Ambuja Cement’s mother plant Ambujanagar in Gujarat led the celebrations with a marathon in which over 500 people participated; while over 70 members of Ambuja’s women club visited the Bhekeshwar Dam – one of the biggest water harvesting projects developed by ACF in collaboration with its partners – to spread the word about the water harvesting initiatives and its benefits to the communities. An awareness session, quiz competition for employees, poster competition for children too saw enthusiastic participation.
Celebrations at Bathinda in Punjab and Bhatapara in Chhattisgarh too were marked with the marathons; poems were recited, water saving related videos played and skits performed. Operations in other locations including the Maratha Cement Works in Maharashtra and Darlaghat in Himachal Pradesh too widely observed this special day.
Ambuja Cement through its CSR arm ACF implemented multiple initiatives by adopting a holistic approach of building infrastructure for water conservation, like check dams and roof rainwater harvesting structures. The company also created an impact on the environment, groundwater resources, agriculture and allied livelihood activities. These efforts led Ambuja Cement to notch up 5.5 times Water Positive status – the highest in the industry in India.
- TechnipFMC Partners with SEED CSR to Inaugurate Skill Development Centre and Mobile Medical Health Unit in Gujarat - 4 April, 2018
- Ambuja Cement Celebrates World Water Day across its Operations - 27 March, 2018
- VIBGYOR Group of Schools Embark on a Journey to Create Water for the Future - 24 March, 2018
- Priyadarshni Academy Celebrates 34th Anniversary Literary Awards and Educational Scholarships Program - 20 March, 2018
- TCS Olympus Centre Awarded the ‘Best Commercial Project of 2016-17’ at the 32nd National Real Estate Annual Awards by Accommodation Times - 19 March, 2018
- ofo, the World’s Largest Bicycle Sharing Platform, Contributes to Urban Mobility in Pune’s Magarpatta City - 9 March, 2018
- Dr. Madhu Chitkara Honoured with NIVEDITA Award for Service towards Women Empowerment on Account of International Women’s Day - 9 March, 2018
- Merck Launches their Merck Foundation and Mark International Women’s Day with First Lady of Niger - 9 March, 2018
- Plan India, Delegation of the European Union and Embassy of Finland Celebrate International Women’s Day 2018 in India under the Theme Economic Empowerment of Women - 7 March, 2018
- Merck Foundation Join Hands with the First Lady of The Gambia to Empower Infertile Women across Africa - 24 February, 2018