Serving Bureaucrat , Dr Heera Lal, IAS is officer with passion , compassion & empathy. With more than three decades of public policy and administrative experience, Dr Lal is coming with very humble background from rural district of Basti, Uttar Pradesh. Electrical engineer by qualification, Dr Heera Lal, holds a Masters degree in Public Administration from Maxwell School of Syracuse University, USA & Ph.D. in ‘Role of ICT in Achieving Good Governance’.
Revolutionary by nature, Dr. Lal has held various administrative positions over his career. He was the DM (District Magistrate) of Banda where he conducted 22 highly successful development experiments. Some of these included increasing ground water table level, increasing agricultural productivity, introducing jail reforms which made Banda’s jail ranked number one.
His election drive of increasing the voter turnout won accolades from the Hon. Prime Minister of India himself. He was instrumental in transforming Banda and helping reduce its backwardness on various development parameters. Adopting a formula of no-or-low cost model of development, Dr. Lal’s initiatives are practical, effective and driven by people-participation. With his vision of transforming Indian villages to make our country stronger, he is also an Honorary Mentor to Model गाँव (Model Village), a non-profit initiative which educates and empowers villagers towards holistic development and transform their village into an ideal/model village.
In a candid e-Chat with Dr. Anil Jaggi, Executive Editor & CEO –Conscious Ventures, Dr.Heera Lal shared his views about the roadmap of his dream project “ Modelगाँव”.
Q: Being a part of many developmental projects as a Sr. bureaucrat of large state like Uttar Pradesh ( UP), how do you define your new “Modelगाँव (Model Village)” project different from others. Please do share your views and objectives behind this with our readers.
Q: How is your experience so far to move in the direction of Model गाँव to achieve define goals.
Q: How the project is able to identify & engage all stakeholders i.e. farmers, women, rural entrepreneurs, local thought leaders in constructive & participatory manner.
Q: If we compare this project with previous Govt. sponsored projects, conceived & executed by local Govt., NGOs and CSOs (Civil Society organisations), what is your learning & take way .
Q: What is the involvement of Center & State Govt. and how do you envision their pro-active role and involvement to make the project successful, model & effective for village transformation in 21st century.
Q: Are you approached by any other District or state to seek your help to replicate similar projects in their region.
Q: Would you like to share major problems & challenges you and your team faced in executing such project & what is the level of acceptance & appreciation at political (leadership) level .
Q: Have you approached India Inc. /Pvt Sector to come forward and support such noble projects under their strategic CSR framework and how is the response so far .
Q: With New Agriculture bill and Center Govt. commitment to increase framers income by double, is manifesto of Modelगाँव project, working on similar lines .
Q: Finally your suggestions for young leaders in Govt. , Corporate, Civil Society and Academia to come forward and under take such selfless project(s), in order to build happy, healthy & prosperous India.
- Interview with Dr Heera Lal, IAS, Advisor-Model गाँव & Additional Mission Director at National Health Mission UP, India - 15 March, 2021
- Interview with Mr. Rick Carlton, Founder and CEO of SevaChild India Foundation - 7 September, 2020
- Interview with Elaine Cohen, MD – Beyond Business Ltd., Israel - 15 July, 2020
- ICIMOD to lead nine mountain priorities and six urgent actions for HKH region to support UN-SDGs- Dr David Molden, DG ICIMOD Nepal - 28 February, 2020
- Farm mechanization is crucial for modernization & commercialization of agriculture with strategic CSR support- Mr. HL Bharaj, Executive Director (Services/S&E), THDC India Ltd., Rishikesh - 20 February, 2020
- Interview with Yoshi Sano, Japan - 10 February, 2020
- Saves Lakes to Save Bangalore - 11 January, 2020
- Making Money without Meaning is Meaningless : Prof. Jagdish N. Sheth - 24 September, 2019